The city of Mound was incorporated in 1912, but was actually settled earlier in the 1850’s when the Minnesota Governor at the time, who was Alexander Ramsey was given credit for naming Lake Minnetonka, which in the natural Indian language of the time meant “place spread over by water.” Mound derived its name from the Indian mounds once found within the present city limits. These mounds were not built by the Dakota Indians, but were made by pre-historic Indians between 300 BC and 100 AD. A survey of the mounds was made and published in 1883.
Before the Civil War, In 1854, Mathias S. Cook built the third log cabin on the Upper Lake on the North shore of the bay named after him, “Cook’s Bay.” The first settlement was in the north-west corner of the township in 1855. This same year, Captain Frank Halstead, the town’s first justice of the peace, built his log cabin on the southwest shore of Halstead’s Bay. Robert Langdon arrived in 1857, and Langdon’s Bay is named after him. Harrison’s Bay was named for Nathaniel Harrison who settled there in 1856.
In September of 1876, the city of Mound had a general store, post office, saw mill, boat works, several homes, two hotels and two boat fleets. When the railroad tracks were extended to Mound in 1900, the large steamboats were being replaced by the yellow Street Car Boats, but the majority of the tourists would come by train.
Mound, in the early days, was known as Mound City. A bustling business district at the shore on Cooks Bay was frequented by the street car boats prevalent on Lake Minnetonka and the neighborhood was known as Busy Corners. In 1900, the railroad passed to the north, requiring the business district to move to where we know it today. Three Points north of Mound, was annexed to the city in 1959, Island Park and Halstead Heights in 1960, and Shadywood Point in 1963.
In 1966 the Great Northern Railway sold the Depot to the Minnetonka Museum Association for $1 with the understanding that it be moved to a different site. In 1967 the depot was moved to its present day location but in 1972 the Minnetonka Museum Association turned over due to lack of funds and was given over to the village of Mound to be used as a community center.
On Jan. 1st 1974 the Village of Mound officially became the ‘city of Mound,’ and in 1984, it was decided to install a historical marker near the depot commemorating the discovery of Lake Minnetonka.
Today the city of Mound, Minnesota, is 3.18 square miles and has a population of 9,052, on the western shores of beautiful Lake Minnetonka. Located approximately 20 miles west of Minneapolis, Mound residents enjoy the attractions, events, and excitement of the metropolitan area, while living in a quaint hometown atmosphere. The scenic beauty in Mound is magnificent, being surrounded on all sides by lakes and trees.