At one point, the area of Medina, Minnesota was comprised of nothing more than woods, lakes, streams, and the occasional open space. The only inhabitants were the Dakota Indians, and they made use of the woods and water by providing themselves with plenty of game. However, all of this changed as a result of the Traverse de Sioux treaty. This treaty allowed the settlers to flood the area while the Indians moved out to the west. Most of the settlers moved to the location because they were drawn to the woods and plentiful farming opportunities.
The first settlers officially moved in by 1855, and just three years later, the village was named as the Hamburg township. Local residents preferred the name, “Medina,” after the Arabian holy City that was in the news so often during that year. In 1858, residents met in a local’s home and voted unanimously to change the name. Most of the early settlers were of german or Irish descent, and this served as the main reason that the community had such wonderful ties.
As it grew, Medina moved from being a township to become a village in 1955. Later, it incorporated as a city in 1974. Now Medina is a prosperous, suburban city, and its population is just over 5,500. The locals are excited to maintain its rural history.
© Copyright 2015, www.TwinCitiesPropertyFinder.com All Rights Reserved.