The city of Falcon Heights, Minnesota started off as a part of the Rose Township. This land area also encompassed the present-day cities of Lauderdale and Roseville, as well as sections of St. Paul, Minneapolis, and St. Anthony. While the city of Falcon Heights itself is not very large, it has a rich history which it shares with its neighbors in the local area.
The area was first settled in 1843, a full six years before Minnesota was officially recognized as a United States territory. Originally settled for farming and due to its location near the Mississippi River, the Rose Township was very small and in 1881 half of the township was absorbed by St. Paul.
In the 1930’s Falcon Heights received its name. The secretary of 3M, John Cable, owned a large parcel of land in the area. He made plans to plot and develop the area, and his real estate agent took the liberty of naming the development after himself. His last name was Faulkner, which is what the name Falcon Heights was derived from. By 1937 the first house had been constructed within the area. By the 1940’s, Falcon Heights saw the development of many retail businesses.
In the year of 1949, residents of Falcon Heights had the choice to either annex into St. Paul or to establish their own independent village government. The residents voted to incorporate and thus the Village of Falcon Heights was born. The incorporation brought in the State Fairgrounds, University of Minnesota Campus Golf Course, and more. Overall, the land that was added at this time encompasses two-thirds of the city’s total land area today.
Today, Falcon Heights is a small-sized city with a very closely-knit community. Known for its major landmarks, most notably the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Falcon Heights is enjoyed by its residents and over a million visitors each year.
If you have any questions regarding the city of Falcon Heights, Minnesota, or if you would like to sell or buy a house in the area, please feel free to visit TwinCitiesPropertyFinder.com or call 1-800-909-1953.