The original inhabitants of the Plymouth, Minnesota were the Native American tribe called the Dakotas. Their main village was near Medicine Lake. The name Medicine Lake came from the Native American word “Mdewakan”, meaning “Lake of the Spirit.” The reason the lake was called “Lake of the Spirit” was because the tribe had evidently lost one of its most famous warriors when his canoe capsized in the lake and his body was never found. However, the indians eventually left the area after a treaty, allowing the settlers to make a home for themselves.
The area became a town in 1855, and was mainly used for agricultural purposes. As more settlers arrived in the location, they decided to organize. The Hennepin County Board of Commissioners named the new settlement Plymouth. On April 19, 1858, a small group of townspeople met at the home of a local resident to open elections for town offices. On May 11, 1858, the group voted to change the town’s name to Medicine Lake. However, the name was never officially established, and the town remained known as Plymouth.
In 1862, near New Ulm, Minnesota, a southern city in the state, there arose a conflict between the settlers and the Dakota Tribe. As a result of wanting to send their support, the settlers of Plymouth formed a militia.
When the Civil War started, Plymouth compensated its volunteers $25 to enlist. During that time, the town began to develop even more. Schools and churches were built and a post office was located in Plymouth. Because of its heavy amount of tourists in the 1860’s, the town also built several hotels.
After the Civil War ended, the town’s population grew and it became one of the dominant agricultural areas of the region. Plymouth incorporated as a village on May 18, 1955.
If you have any questions regarding the city of Plymouth, Minnesota, or if you would like to sell or buy a house in the area, please feel free to visit TwinCitiesPropertyFinder.com or call 1-800-909-1953.